The original Thuraya SatSleeve was one of the most innovative products of 2013. In 2015, Thuraya launched the SatSleeve+ and SatSleeve Hotspot.
The new Thuraya SatSleeve+ and SatSleeve Hotspot use Wi-Fi. A free app lets you make calls or send texts, emails or tweets using in your own iOS or Android smart phone. Internet access using Thuraya GmPRS mode reaches up to 60 kbps down and 15 kbps up. Thuraya has a vast coverage area including much of Africa, western Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia.
Here are some key features to consider:
- Your smart phone will still work as a cell phone: An incoming cellular-mode call takes precedence over ongoing satellite-mode calls.
- Universal Adapter fits all iPhone and Android models between 58 and 85 mm width. This includes the iPhone 6+. See a complete list of compatible phones below.
- Satellite-based Voice, Text, and Internet Access: When no cellular signal is available, the Thuraya SatSleeve+ and SatSleeve Hotspot will enable your iPhone or Android to make and receive voice calls and send and receive text messages. Its GmPRS always-on internet capability enables web browsing, email, and social media platforms.
- Emergency S.O.S. Call Button: This feature allows you to make an emergency voice call to one predefined number with the press of a button. The SatSleeve+ and SatSleeve Hotspot have a built-in microphone and speaker so you can also make the S.O.S. call as a stand-alone satellite phone -- even if your smart phone is not available.
- SMS Messaging: The Thuraya SatSleeve Hotspot App is very easy to use for short messaging over the Thuraya satellite network.
- Always-on GmPRS Internet Access: GmPRS gives you an always on internet connection billed by the megabyte of data transfer instead of connection time. Thuraya GmPRS is offered on a best effort basis with maximum data rates of 60 kbps down and 15 kbps up without any guarantee of actual performance.
- Fast Recharging: You can recharge your SatSleeve in 2.5 hours. An LED on the SatSleeve turns from red to blue when it is fully charged. Outfitter Satellite also offers solar charging systems for the Thuraya SatSleeve+ and SatSleeve Hotspot.
- Battery Life: The SatSleeve+ battery offers up to 3 hours of talk time. With the Wi-Fi disabled, the SatSleeve+ can operate for 70 hours. Since you can make or receive calls using just the S.O.S. button this can be a valuable feature if you need to conserve battery power. (NOTE: You can only make outbound calls to one pre-configured number).
Thuraya Coverage and Service Plans for the SatSleeve Hotspot and SatSleeve+
Smart Phones Compatible with the Thuraya SatSleeve Hotspot and SatSleeve+
iOS devices (iOS 6, 7, 8 & 9)
• iPhone 4
• iPhone 4s
• iPhone 5
• iPhone 5s
• iPhone 5c
• iPhone 6
• iPhone 6 plus
• iPad Air
• iPod Touch
• Samsung Galaxy S3
• Samsung Galaxy S4
• Samsung Galaxy S5
• Samsung Galaxy S6
• Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
• Samsung Galaxy Note 3
• Samsung Galaxy Note 5
• Samsung Galaxy Note Edge
• Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1” 2014 edition tablet
• Samsung Galaxy A8
• Samsung Galaxy J7
• Samsung Galaxy E7
• Samsung Galaxy Alpha (tested with Android 4.4)
• Huawei Honor 4C (tested with Android 4.4)
• Huawei Ascend G750
• Huawei Y635
• HTC One M8 (tested with Android 4.4)
• HTC Desire Eye (tested with Android 4.4)
• Sony Xperia Z1 (tested with Android 4.4)
• Sony Xperia Z2 (tested with Android 4.4)
• CAT S50 smartphone (tested with Android 4.4)
• Asus Memo Pad 8 ME180A tablet