Is someone in your family hunting, hiking, or fishing in a remote location?
Do you know where they are now? The Iridium 9575 EXTREME offers worry free GPS tracking. Read on to find out more! The Iridium 9575 EXTREME is a powerful Personal GPS Tracking Device. It allows you to send your exact GPS location coordinates at regular intervals or each time you power up the phone. Loved ones and associates will enjoy the peace of mind this feature offers. Check out the video below to learn more.
How Do I Use Tracking on My Iridium 9575 EXTREME?
The Iridium 9575 EXTREME Personal GPS Tracking Device can send tracking information out once upon request or as a series of scheduled events as short as 5 minutes apart. The Iridium 9575 EXTREME Personal GPS Tracking Device must be on and connected to the Iridium network in order to send out the location information. Here is how you do it:
Sending out a Single GPS Location Report:
- Use the left soft key and up/down scroll keys to select Menu : Setup : Location Options : GPS Options.
- Under GPS On/Off make sure GPS is enabled. Then, click the right soft key once to back up one level.
- Under GPS Update Options we recommend you select 5 minutes or 10 minutes, because running the GPS in “Real Time” will use more battery power. Then, click the right soft key twice to back up two levels.
- You should be at the Location Options level again. Scroll down and select Message Options.
- Scroll to and select Quick GPS List. You can put up to 5 SMS or email recipients into the Quick GPS List. Remember you will be paying seperately for each recipient address. To add one, scroll to an (empty) recipient and click on Options and then click on Edit. To create a text recipient, select “Enter Number…”. As an example, if you have a U.S. phone number such as 615-123-4567 you would put in +16151234567 for the number. If you decide to enter an email address, please note that the * key gives you access to special characters such as “.” and “@”.
- You are setup to share your GPS position. To do so, press the convenience button on the right side of the phone. You lat/long will be displayed. If it is not displayed, you have to wait for the GPS to get a fix. Remember the GPS antenna is on the upper right side of the phone, so don’t cover that with your thumb. It can take a minute or so to get a GPS fix. Once you have a GPS fix, you can share it by using the left soft key to select Share and again to select Quick GPS. Your position will go out to everyone that is a recipient on your Quick GPS List.
Sending out a Continuous "Bread Crumb Trail" of GPS Location Reports:
- Perform the steps for the single GPS report above first.
- Go to Menu : Setup : Location Options : Message Options : Regular Update : Update Frequency. You can choose 5, 10, or 30 minutes. Remember that you will pay for an outbound SMS to each recipient each time the Iridium sends out a position report.
- Click the right soft key to backup one level and scroll to and select Update Recipient. Select Options and then Edit and Enter Number… as before to put in the cell phone number of the person that you want to receive the breadcrumb trail report.
- You are setup to use your Iridium 9575 EXTREME as a Personal GPS Tracking Device. If you keep your phone powered on and have used our recommendations, it will automatically transmit your GPS position. The recipient can click the hyperlink to see your position on a map.
How Much Will GPS Tracking Increase My Airtime Bill?
There are a couple ways to use the Iridium 9575 EXTREME as a Personal GPS Tracking Device. The most popular option is for the user to set the Iridium 9575 EXTREME to utilize the SMS functionality of your service plan. Your airtime invoice will show an outbound SMS message for each time tracking information was sent.
For example, if you want to turn on tracking for a single day hike you have planned, you might select a 30 minute time interval and transmit over an 8 hour period. This means you would send about 16 SMS messages. On most service plans this would cost well under $10, which is not much for the safety of letting your friends know exactly where you were hiking.
If you intend to use tracking services heavily on a year round basis, it will more economical to use the Iridium 9575 EXTREME LBS (location based services) feature instead of SMS messaging to transmit your position reports. LBS is billed according to the total bytes of data transmitted. Outfitter Satellite bundles our LBS service with access to a web portal that allows you to display the location history of your Personal GPS Tracking Device. Only users with the password to your web portal will be able to view the information. Additional monthly fees and usage charges apply, but LBS is generally lower cost for customers with year round heavy tracking applications.