If you are planning take a trip on the water, Outfitter Satellite has you covered! Here is why you should rent or purchase an Inmarsat IsatPhone 2 for your next deep sea fishing trip.
Inmarsat has long been known as the preferred satellite communication system for marine users. Pleasure craft owners often cannot justify the expense of an Inmarsat Fleetbroadband system, but now most people can afford to buy or.rent an IsatPhone 2 handheld satellite phone. The IsatPhone 2 gives you basic voice and text communications and has an SOS button functionality to provide improved safety. It is the new essential deep sea fishing gear item.
The IsatPhone 2 is remarkably reliable and offers nearly global satellite phone coverage. It is a great safety tool if you are fishing off the coasts of the lower 48 US states, Hawaii, Mexico, or anywhere in the Caribbean.
What makes the IsatPhone 2 an essential deep sea fishing gear item?
Satellite phone users generally find the IsatPhone 2 provides reliable long-duration calls. It is suitable even for long business calls -- unlike Iridium satellite phones which drop calls frequently.
Though the IsatPhone 2 provides near global marine coverage, the Inmarsat satellites it uses become low on the horizon if you travel north of about 50º N latitude or south of about 50º S latitude. Marine users operating in those areas may want to consider an Iridium satellite phone instead.
Other features of the IsatPhone 2 that make it essential deep sea fishing gear include:
- SMS short messaging with email-to-text conversion and free inbound message reception.
- An easy-to-use SOS button that can send your GPS position to a list of text or email addresses and simultaneously initiate a phone call to a preset emergency contact number.
- Automatic GPS position reports can be sent via SMS while you are registered on the Inmarsat network with the antenna deployed.
- It rings-while-holstered even if the antenna is stowed when registered on the Inmarsat network.
- It has a remarkable IP65 Ingress protection rating against dust and water intrusion.
- An easy-grip form factor makes it easy to grab and hold.
- A high visibility screen lets you read the IsatPhone 2 display even in bright sunlight.
- Internet data service up to 2.4 kbps* which can be used for light email applications. Outfitter Satellite recommends the Optimizer hotspot for this as it supports many common devices such as iPhones, iPads, Android phones, Windows computers, and Macintosh computers. By light email applications, we mean text based emails with occasionally a small attachment less than 100 KB. Heavy data users should choose a broadband Inmarsat Fleetbroadband satellite terminal.
- An optional marine docking station lets you use the IsatPhone 2 below decks through the ship's phone system. This would have to be purchased for your boat since docking station rentals are not available at this time.
Now that you know why an IsatPhone 2 is essential deep sea fishing gear, here are some other must haves to take on board:
- fishing line
- bait (live or artificial)
- cutting implements i.e.: scissors and a knife or two
- tape measure
- a well stocked first aid kit, including motion sickness tabs
- swim shoes for traction on the wet surfaces of your vessel
- extra clothes
- a blanket
- sunscreen is imperative! Some waters are very reflective and that glare can cause burn to come from many directions!
- some type of cooler to transport your haul for the day