Posted by OutfitterSatellite on 8/24/2015 to Iridium Satellite Phone
As you may be aware, starting with Windows 8, Microsoft decided to block installation of any drivers that had not been approved by Microsoft. This creates problems for Iridium email solutions like SpeedMail (aka XGate) or Airbus' SkyFile, because these software packages require the installation of the Iridium USB drivers on Windows 8. Older versions of Windows did not block drivers that had not been approved by Microsoft so the SpeedMail setup process was able to install a Dialup Networking (DUN) service on Windows 7 and earlier computers.This article tells you how to install the Iridium USB drivers on Windows 8 machines so that you can use SkyFile or SpeedMail email software on an Iridium 9555 or Iridium 9575 EXTREME.(Aside: If you are using a Windows 7 machine, please see our Iridium data connection for Windows 7 blog post. If you are using a hardware-based Optimizer hotspot to create the data connection there is no need to install the Iridium USB drivers.)
Solution:The user must first disable the Windows 8 driver signature requirement in orderto install the Iridium USB drivers on Windows 8. Here are the steps:
- Reboot your computer. Press the <F8> key a few times while the computer boots up until you see the Boot Menu.
- From the Boot Menu, select <Disable Driver Signature Enforcement> and then press <ENTER>.
- Windows will now load with the Driver Signature requirement disabled.
- Download the USB drivers by clicking here (30KB). Unzip the drivers and put them somewhere you can find them like C:\Iridium.
- Power on your Iridium 9555 or 9575 and connect it to your Windows 8 machine via the Micro-USB data cable. The USB drivers will be installed automatically.
- NOTE: The next time the computer boots, up, it will be in normal mode again.
- If you go to the Device Manager (found under Control Panel : System) you should see the "Iridium USB Serial Port (COMxx)" which identifies the COM port being used. Take note of the COM port for later use.